Democracy for America backs over 30 in the final round of 2018 county, municipal, local endorsements
BURLINGTON, Vt. -- Today, Democracy for America (DFA) announced its final 31 endorsements for county, municipal, and local office in 2018. These new endorsees join 13 other candidates DFA endorsed earlier this year for a total of 44 DFA-endorsed county, municipal, and local level candidates who are on the ballot in 2018.
DFA's 31 newly endorsed candidates for county, municipal, and local office include:
- Nikki Bas (Oakland (CA) City Council, District 2)
- Alicia Brooks (Judicial District 26A Judge (Mecklenburg County, NC), Seat 1)
- Cat Brooks (Mayor, Oakland (CA))
- Heather Burch (Lane County (OR) Commissioner, District 5)
- Shenika Carter (Douglas County (CO) Assessor)
- Renata Castro (Margate City (FL) Commissioner, Seat 3)
- Shelaswau Crier (Marion County (OR) Commissioner, Position 1)
- Charisse Davis (Cobb County (GA) School Board, District 6)
- Abel Delgado (Flint (MI) School Board)
- Elora Diaz (Phoenix (AZ) Elementary School District #1 Governing Board)
- Emily Gasoi (State Board of Education (DC), Ward 1)
- Brandi Geoit (Pasco County (FL) Commissioner, District 4)
- Mark Haase (Hennepin (MN) County Attorney)
- Stacy Hackenburg (Williamson County (TX) Justice of the Peace, Precinct 4)
- Alex Hansen (Livingston County Commissioner (MI), District 5)
- Jennifer Hernandez (Douglas County (NE) District Court Clerk )
- Caroline Holko (Cobb County (GA) Commissioner, District 3)
- DaSean Jones (180th District Court (Houston, TX) Judge)
- Farrah Khan (Irvine (CA) City Council)
- Ben Ku (Gwinnett County (GA) Commissioner, District 2)
- Joca Marquez (San Marcos (TX) City Council, Place 5)
- Consuelo Martinez (Escondido (CA) City Council, District 1)
- Dyane Medina (Stockton (CA) City Council, District 5)
- Karl-Thomas Musselman (Williamson County (TX) Justice of the Peace, Precinct 1)
- Rigel Robinson (Berkeley (CA) City Council, District 7)
- Elaissia Sears (Justice of the Peace, West Mesa Justice Precinct (AZ))
- Kelly Smith (Pasco County Commissioner (FL), District 2)
- Marc Solomon (Alexandria (VA) City School Board, District A)
- Jessica Tiedt (Williamson County (TX) Clerk)
- Katie Tomberlin (Carteret County (NC) Commissioner, District 2)
- Igor Tregub (Berkeley (CA) City Council, District 1)
DFA is a member-driven, people-powered political organization with 1 million members across the country that has supported progressive candidates up-and-down the ballot since its founding in 2004.
In February 2017, DFA announced a groundbreaking $500,000 2017-18 initiative to support municipal races across the country in an effort to transform America's cities into "bastions of resistance against the Trump regime." The effort netted 21 municipal-level progressive victories in 2017 ranging from mayoral races in Charlotte, NC and Jackson, MS to a city trustee slate in Berwyn, IL.
Chair Jim Dean on DFA's 2018 endorsements in critical county, municipal, and local elections:
"The 44 leaders we've endorsed for county, municipal, and local elected offices in 2018 will not only have a direct and immediate impact on their community, they'll also provide important opportunities to develop, test, and implement the kind of bold, inclusive populist solutions our country desperately at every level of government.
"Democracy for America members are excited to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with this transformative slate of county, municipal, and local leaders because we know that the fight for racial and economic justice has to waged from the top to the bottom of our ballots." -- Jim Dean, Chair of Democracy for America
As a part of its work in the 2018 election cycle, DFA intends to raise and spend more than $12 million in support of progressive candidates, make more than 2 million voter contacts, and support more than 250 candidates nationwide -- like municipal and local level candidates endorsed today -- in running inclusive populist campaigns committed to turning out the New American Majority of people of color and progressive white voters in November.
Democracy for America is a member-driven, people-powered progressive PAC with more than one million members nationwide committed to taking on income inequality, money in politics, and structural racism. Since its 2004 founding, DFA members have raised and contributed more than $54 million and made more than 21.9 million volunteer calls to help successfully elect 917 progressive candidates nationwide.