Join our team today!
Democracy for America staff and fellows put their talents and skills to work each and every day to make the Democratic Party more progressive and move our country forward.
Open positions (if available) are listed below, along with instructions on how to apply.
Communications | Communication Director
Democracy for America is seeking an experienced and driven individual to be its Communications Director. The Communications Director is responsible for helping develop the strategy and managing the implementation of DFA’s communication program including growth of media contacts & presence, and collaboration with endorsed candidate messaging. The Communications Director will work closely with the Political Department and Leadership Team to ensure that DFA’s mission and work is accurately portrayed in the media.
The Communications Director reports to the Chief Political Officer:
- Building relationships with the press, while serving as the primary point of contact for DFA with media inquiries in addition to setting up interview opportunities for leadership.
- Act as a communications consultant and resource to DFA’s endorsed candidates, providing strategic advice, communications support, and rapid response guidance.
- Oversee national communications, including pitching and working with national reporters interested in our campaigns, thereby uplifting our endorsed candidates nationally.
- Design and implement a process for the communications team to serve the Political department.
- Manage the communications team that will interface with federal, gubernatorial, and state and local races.
- Serve as a leader in time sensitive situations by advising leadership, planning communications strategies, and managing staff and resources to achieve organizational goals.
- Be an assertive and quick-thinking originator of stories to pitch on behalf of DFA and our endorsed candidates.
- Help draft and deliver talking points for DFA’s staff and candidates when needed.
- Assist with media training for staff, candidates, and partners, as needed.
- Serve as an on-record spokesperson for the organization, as needed.
- Working with DFA members around the country to promote their actions, events, and activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of five years experience in communications, including at least one—but preferably several—senior communications roles on a campaign and/or organization is required.
- Experience in a rapid response media environment; preferably statewide, presidential, or national organization.
- Extensive and varied on-the-record experience and established relationships with political reporters.
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences and write quickly and in a compelling manner about multiple topics.
- Energetic ability to multi-task and manage projects in a fast-paced and changeable environment.
- Willingness to invest multiple teams and stakeholders in communications efforts.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Strong, determined team-player with a ready sense of humor, and a demonstrated willingness to work hard and take risks.
- Commitment to diversity of our candidates, membership, partners, and staff.
- Experienced manager of people and processes.
- Experience in developing marketing and powerful messaging that will promote DFA’s extensive electoral and programmatic work.
- Excellent writing and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently in a remote work environment.
- Comfortable working with a team but are willing to take initiative and work independently.
- Comfortable receiving and providing constructive feedback to peers and supervisors.
- Can handle time constraints and meet hard deadlines.
The salary range for this position is $85,000 - $95,000 a year depending on experience, plus an excellent benefits package including healthcare, unlimited paid vacation, holidays, sick leave, and an employer contribution to retirement plan, a fun and dynamic work environment, and the chance to make real change happen.
To apply please email a resume, cover letter, and 2 writing samples to [email protected] with the subject line “Communications Director – YOUR NAME”. This position begins immediately and applications will be accepted until the position is filled.