BREAKING: TAA defeated in the House. Progressives win big.
"While the failure of theMedicare-cutting Trade Adjustment Assistance is a big victory for the army of grassroots activists who have steadfastly opposed Fast Track and the job-killing Trans-Pacific Partnership, we're under no illusion that this is the end of the fight.
"The American people don't want another NAFTA-style trade deal that will only make it easier to ship more jobs overseas, sell tainted food in our supermarkets, and challenge our laws in foreign tribunals.
"We know the legions of corporate executives and industry lobbyists who are pushing the job-killing TPP won't stop after today's loss and, they should know, neither will we.
"The hundreds of thousands of hardened, grassroots activists who have been brought together by the fight against this job-killing trade deal will not rest until the TPP and Fast Track are dead, buried, and covered in six-inches of concrete." -- Jim Dean, Chair, Democracy for America
Information about Democracy for America and the fight against Fast Track and the Trans-Pacific Partnership:
- Nearly 173,800 Democracy for America members have taken action in the fight against Fast Track and the job-killing TPP.
- In the hours before today's vote, DFA members alone have made more than 2,650 calls to members of Congress urging them to vote NO on Fast Track and Medicare-cutting Trade Adjustment Assistance
- DFA's been fighting Fast Track and TPP for years:
- In early 2014, DFA pushed against Rep. Ron Kind's effort to promote the trade deal within the House Democratic caucus.
- In 2015, DFA has released polling showing the reelection risks Oregon Senator Ron Wyden would face for his work on Fast Track, and reported that 93% of DFA members in Oregon said Wyden should face a primary if he worked with Republicans to pass the trade deal.
- In April, DFA released polling showing just how in danger Republican Senator Rob Portman would be in his Ohio Senate race if he voted with his party on Fast Track and the TPP.
- In May, DFA spoke out when President Obama went on the attack against TPP critics at NIKE.
- Founded in 2004, DFA is a people-powered PAC with 1 million members who have raised and contributed more than $32.7 million and made more than 10.1 million volunteer calls to help successfully elect 831 progressive candidates nationwide.