Friends of Marc Loveless
Chicago City Clerk in IL https://www.facebook.com/FriendsofMarc
3510 South Rhodes
Chicago, IL, IL
Primary Election Date: 2015-02-24 General Election Date: 2015-02-24
Who am I?
Marc Loveless has always stood out among the crowd not only due to his long list of trail blazing accomplishments but because of his passion for positive social and civic change within the communities. Being the first openly gay elected official in the State of Illinois, Marc has always been destined to be a game changer in the civil rights. Marc’s experience and expertise have afforded him the opportunities to hold leadership and board positions in various industries including not-for-profit, education, social entrepreneurship, marketing, broadcasting, public policy, and civic engagement. His strategic vision has enabled him to share his ability to transform organizations by serving as the Interim National Director of the Community Services Department for RainbowPUSH Coalition, working as part of the grassroots team that passed the Quality of Life Illinois Scratch-off Lottery Ticket, and created a new stream of funding for HIV/AIDS prevention.
He also spearheading the passage of the African-American HIV/AIDS Response Act. His talents have been recognized nationally and has participated in White House Briefings with President William Jefferson Clinton on topics of Urban Development and Education and most recently awarded the Drum Major Call to Service award by President Barack Obama. Marc currently serves as the Executive Director of the Coalition for Justice and Respect (CJR), an African-American Same Gender Loving Black Lesbian and Gay social justice and civil rights organization based in Chicago.
As a promoter of civic engagement Marc practices what speaks, he is a Board of Director Member to Common Cause Illinois, Chicago Social Enterprise Alliance and Chicago Public Radio Community Advisory Council.
He is a member of University of Chicago Community Committee of South Side Health and Vitality Initiative and a member of the Steering Committee of the Chicago Green Festival. Marc’s inspiration comes from his lifelong commitment to being a catalyst of change for social justice in the world at large.
Marc's theme is that there are no challenges that we have in this city that civic engagement and a demand for social justice can't resolve.
Why am I running?
I was escorted in to public service by the likes of and the words Adlai Stevenson when he said ”Government(in a democracy) cannot be stronger or more tough-minded than the its people. It cannot be more inflexibly committed to the task than they. It cannot be wiser than its people. I want to scale up the Chicago City Clerk's office to its fullest potential and highest expectations of its people.
I will increase efficiency and provide more and better direct services, engage civic participation, social entapnuership, and further community action. The Clerk's Office is the keeper of all records, from that base I want to transform this office to be an Ombudsman office of sorts where people can come and know that a record of their concerns regarding the city of Chicago will be heard and that we will get the best responses.
I want every resident to know that they have access to their city government, we will lean in on transparency, public awareness and remove barriers to civic engagement, promote civic pride and community sustainability. This office will affirm that the power of city government is the hands of the people.
Directly I will:
• Conduct Civic Fairs and Public Policy Forms.
• Redeploy the current staffing to be more accessible to all residents with 6 area offices.
• Retain the Permit Parking program, but remove the burden of cost on the residents.
• Assist Renters and Landlords with listing of property and Landlord Registration.
• Develop Community Empowerment Grants for community organizing.
• Restore the Grace Period for purchasing City Vehicle Stickers.
• Assure that Senior Citizen’s receive all consideration in fees.
• Assist families to be compliant with Dog registration ordinance without penalties
• Expand the Post-Secondary service to include Trade and Two year programs.
• Increase access to filing of Passports.
• Increase Summer Job opportunities and increase the diversity of Public Policy Internships.
• Expand the economic base of Chicago with resources to encourage and support Social Enterprises.
1. Increase Civic Engagement and Public Compliance. We will hold civic fairs and public policy forums on current issues and bring other City Departments to the table. As well as make people aware of public obligation of Dog Ownership compliance without penalties.
2. Reduce fines and penalties. Restore the City Parking Sticker grace period and provide Residents in Permit Parking areas stickers at no cost.
3. Provide support for Social Enterprise. Support providing access to information about Social Enterprise.
My DFA Values
The uniting force of this campaign is that I have lived in both the north, west and south sides of the city and I have worked all over the city as Volunteer, Community Leader in diverse community, as a Lead and Support Staff person and public official the past 22 years. In that work I have brought people together under the theme that justice is not an idea or aspiration but the justice and freedom is what we have to do for ourselves and those beyond ourselves.
Ceaser Cavez said “When we are really honest with ourselves we must admit our lives are all that really belong to us. So it is how we use our lives that determines the kind of men we are.”
I have presented my life as an intersection of social action. That is what I will present and as when I became the first openly gay elected official in Illinois as a Black Man I represented predominantly Latino/a school.
My Campaign is People Powered!
In addition to the 300 campaign volunteers we will recruit from social media and personal meetings we will be seeking support from grassroot and progressive political and public organizations. Including organized labor and civil rights and social justice organizations.